Open Your Toys Cast – Episode 034: WOW, it seems like just yesterday…

We’ll I guess after you go for more than a month without doing something that makes you feel so good, then you do it twice in two weeks, it can definitely seem like just yesterday. Man, it feels good. I’ve gotta admit, I’ve been slacking. I’ve been drinking more than usual, eating more than usual, vegging out more than usual and obviously accomplishing less than usual. The bad thing is it’s a vicious cycle. I’m pissed I didn’t get anything done, so I drink. Getting drunk makes me want to eat. Eating too much makes me lazy and wham yet another night of not getting shit done. Trust me, that shit’s about to change.

Enough of the damn whining, let’s get to the good stuff. I registered for Botcon. Did you? What number were you? I didn’t even get close to the first 100, but if feels good to have that done. I’m getting really excited for my mancation. We talk about all the new guests for C5 and guess how I’ll be spending an extra $60 at SDCC. We highlight the best news from the latest Star Wars and Matty Collector Q and A’s. Not much out there, but we still manage to get a ton o’stuff. We also review one of the most articulated 3.75” figure ever, too bad it’s not from one of the four franchises. Finally, tons of Grab Bag for ya.

Download the .mp3 (2 hour 17 minutes / 62.8 MB)
Follow along with the show notes

We’ll be talking to you again, real soon, ya hear…Slick

Trackback URL

12 Comments on "Open Your Toys Cast – Episode 034: WOW, it seems like just yesterday…"

1. Slick McFavorite
    Mike Burns
    27/05/2010 at 12:34 am Permalink

Awesome show guys, I was very pleased to check the Zune for something and find a new one.

Talking about toys providing spoilers though, I agree, it was part of the fun as kids to find new toys when going to the store. With the advent of the internet though, the casual fans have to stay up to date on whats coming out because if we didn’t, we would never know what stores to watch and when things came out. The production runs of toys have to be smaller then when we were kids. I don’t remember rare toys in the 80’s. Today, there are always short produced figures or even worse, store exclusives. Scalpers know that plastic addicts need their fix and usually, these things turn into a race, and fan produced websites and podcast help geeky toy collectors become a true hobby community.

2. Slick McFavorite
    Slick McFavorite
    27/05/2010 at 7:47 am Permalink

Thanks Mike! We’re hoping to get a little more consistent.

What’s crazy, is the runs are actually exponentially larger than when we were kids. There were short packs back then too and now they are ridiculously expensive. But, in general, that is why vintage of any line are so much valuable knowadays. That’s kind of the big joke on modern day collectors. If they think they’re going to put their kids through college on toys, they’re fooling themselves. Today’s toys are produced in numbers that we never create any real value.

Of course, exclusives and short packs are the exception. Any limited toy that creates a demand has the potential to become valuable. An unrecognizable Star Wars character may be included in some sort of popular fiction down the road. When they initially came out, no one wanted the “weird old guy”, but now they are cool. So the hoarders that bought 12 will make out great, while the people that bought 20 of every Clone will get screwed.

In the end, gotta do it for the love.

3. Slick McFavorite
    Mike Burns
    27/05/2010 at 10:35 am Permalink

You do have to collect for the love. That is why you Open Your Toys!

4. Slick McFavorite
    Slick McFavorite
    27/05/2010 at 3:39 pm Permalink

Could not have said it better myself!

5. Slick McFavorite
    jaime
    28/05/2010 at 12:34 am Permalink

WTF! a new show 🙂

6. Slick McFavorite
    jaime
    28/05/2010 at 9:06 pm Permalink

First off,I can’t find Jes on Twitter 🙁

Sounds like you kid’s hate “the Maker” George Lucas 🙁

Luv the Toy new review 🙂

Slick loeser’s geek cred for not knowing the name of that transfomer 🙁

Congrats to Sim on winning…………………..again 🙂

I most certainly did NOT read any G.I Joe 2 script 🙂

& Bloger’s and so called movie fan’s who leak shit piss me the F$#K off like you would not beleave, it shit’s me to know the 30% movie & fan site’s just whant to know the news & the other 70% Bitch & bitch & bitch untill there blue in the face, like they think they know who should direct the next Superman or He-man movie! it’s fun to talk about it, but to go out of your way to cry NO & Leak script’s just to get hit’s on there site,F#$k em 🙁

No Megen Fox in Transfomers 3,who cares 🙂

Great show as allways, well done Mcfavorite’s 🙂

p.s Bring back the “BITCH’EN” 🙂

7. Slick McFavorite
    Mike Burns
    28/05/2010 at 9:20 pm Permalink

While not one of the four franchises, I saw new A-Team figs at Target. Wow they suck out loud. I really wanted a Liam Neeson Hannibal but it was just too awful for 5.99. Maybe at clearance. Maybe.

8. Slick McFavorite
    Slick McFavorite
    28/05/2010 at 10:24 pm Permalink

@jaime

Here is a link to Jesica’s new account, Mrs_McFavorite.

In regard to Lucas, just not a blind follower.

I know what saying about the movie circle. I tried it for awhile, but could not stand it. Mostly, because we don’t watch movies right when they come out. You do a great job of keeping us informed.

I totally forgot about the Bitch’en this time and think there was a couple moments that would have been worthy.

@Mike Burns

Yeah, I saw them this week too. Really wanted the B.A. figure just because I loved Mr. T’s character in the original. While I don’t think they look horrible, there’s not enough there to make me want to buy them. Now the van, that might be a different story.

9. Slick McFavorite
    jaime
    29/05/2010 at 6:49 am Permalink

Thank’s Mate, About the Lucas issue will leave it at that 🙂

The movie sites mostly are just ass-head’s & i’m a podcast listener & movie podcast F#%KING suck ass! there’s maybe 2 or 3 good one’s (maybe),i would start my own but can’t find the equipment 🙁

I want the “BITCH’EN” back for the next show,here’s what you do-

Step 1.Keep her up for 24 hours

Step 2.DON’T feed her after midnight

Step 3.then 5 minutes in to the show in the background when doing the podcast put on D.O.A (the movie)

10. Slick McFavorite
    Slick McFavorite
    29/05/2010 at 9:38 am Permalink

I think I can simulate the same situation by giving her a minimum of 10 oz. of liquor. That seems to be the scientific amount that will cause the “BITCH’EN” to be released..

11. Slick McFavorite
    misterbigbo
    30/05/2010 at 3:54 pm Permalink

It’s refreshing to hear people blast His Holiness the Maker. I think he’s the worst thing to happen to the Star Wars franchise; I remember watching the special features on the prequel DVDs as artists described their tremendous efforts at creating His character designs, only to have him give mere seconds of his time evaluating them, then maybe stamping his approval. The only thing missing was the short ceremony when they kissed his ring. . .

But I’m not bitter!

Great podcast as usual!

12. Slick McFavorite
    Slick McFavorite
    31/05/2010 at 11:36 am Permalink

Yeah, I’ve seen that same footage. I think it’s hilarious how people in power, that have a made a couple good decisions, believe that everything they think is right. It doesn’t matter if subordinates have invested a lot of time in research and development and have the knowledge to make a better decision.

Oh well, so is life I guess.

Hi Stranger, leave a comment: